Thursday, July 21, 2005

...Perspectives: Married vs. Single

I’m probably stating the obvious, but the more fun you had when you were single, the harder it is to adjust to being married and having a family. Sometimes it’s very difficult to wrap my mind around the idea that 5 years ago the average Friday night would find me dressed to the nines getting throw-up drunk with a large group of friends at some really fun bar or club, while today the average Friday night finds me picking up take-out because both my wife and I are too tired to cook, losing the battle for control of the remote and often falling asleep on the couch at around 8 o’clock to the sounds of “Drake and Josh” or some Playstation 2 game in the background.

I’m not whining, it’s just that I've had a hard time coming to terms with the fact the free-wheeling period of my life is over; that I now have real grown-up responsibilities that keep me homebound on nights when others are out living it up.

Thankfully, I think I’ve turned a corner. On the final night of our vacation, my parents graciously watched the kids so my wife and I could go out on our own for a few hours. Walking through the MGM Grand, we noticed the line to get into Studio 54 was quite long. Continuing on through the hotel we were shocked to discover that same line kept going on and on and on, literally several hundred bodies deep. I just didn’t understand it.

It must take a minimum of at least a few hours to even enter the club. Once you’re in, it must be even MORE crowded than it is on the outside, meaning it is likely going to take you forever just to get a drink, you’re going to be all scrunched up against everyone else in the club with no breathing room or personal space whatsoever and it’s going to be too loud to talk to anyone or even hear yourself think.

A few short years ago, I have to admit, you very likely could have found me gladly waiting patiently in that very line. Today, it just seems ridiculously stupid to go through all that effort, waiting and inconvenience all for the very, very slim possibility that you might get some play. Glad it’s someone other than me doing it these days.
|
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

< ? California Blogs # >
Powered by Blogger