Thursday, January 05, 2006

...Explaining My Absence

It’s not that I’ve become burnt out with blogging, it’s just that I don’t want to become a bore. No offense, and I don’t want anyone to think this is a thinly-veiled criticism of anyone in particular, but as an avid blog reader, I have to confess I always find a blog a little less interesting the moment the blogger in question goes through a *MAJOR LIFE EVENT*, like having a baby, becoming engaged, getting a new job or anything else of that nature, because inevitably the *MAJOR LIFE EVENT* becomes the dominant topic of the blog and 99% of the time it is the type of thing that A) most other people have already gone through at some point so it isn’t exactly revelatory or enlightening information and B) is the sort of thing that is infinitely more interesting to the writer than the reader.

I am fully aware that other bloggers need not check in with me for approval before coming up with topics, and hell, for all I know it might just be a personal taste thing with me. Other readers might really enjoy hearing about the lack of Sweet `n’ Low in the coffee room at somebody else’s new office or whether or not somebody they’ve never met is going to have a sit-down dinner at his or her wedding reception or go for buffet-style.

To be fair, I feel the same way about my real-life friends when they go through a similar event. I can’t tell you how many friends I’ve lost to the home-improvement craze. Formerly fun and interesting friends who upon purchasing a new house can talk about nothing except what color they’re thinking about painting the bathroom or how exactly they plan on having their kitchen cabinets redone with a different finish. A good friend of mine is about to become a father for the first time, as in possibly within the next couple of hours. I’m extremely happy for him and his wife, who have been great friends to me for a long time, but I’m sure I’ll get just as bored listening to the daily tales of changing diapers and how his kid sort of made what appeared to be a smile today as I notice he and others get when I share similar tales of how cute and clever my own kid is. I mean, let’s be honest: don’t a lot of people tend to think that their life experiences are somehow universally interesting when in truth they are never going to be as interesting to anyone else as they are to themselves?

Not wanting to be hypocritical, i.e. creating the very kind of posts that bore me to tears, I have spared you for the past few months because as the move-in date to our new house gets closer and closer (beginning of February), my life has become full with things like picking out tile patterns, debating the virtues of various carpet fibers, deciding if we want all stainless steel appliances or all black ones, deciding on loan structures, hoping buying a new car this past Summer isn’t going to screw up my credit report and throw the whole deal off the table, wondering if we should spend a little more on window coverings now and have the price worked into the loan or if it’s worth spending a little less but paying cash, driving by every week to see how the building is coming along, dealing with the disappointment of learning about the inevitable delays that pushed our original move in date back over a month, etc.

I will be sure to check back in when my life allows me to get back to being the monumentally fascinating individual you’ve all come to expect.
|
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

< ? California Blogs # >
Powered by Blogger